|Title of Study||JCM Methodology Demonstration Study|
|Dissemination of high-efficiency inverter air conditioners|
|Main Implementing Entity||Shimizu Corporation|
|Study Partners||Shikoku Electric Power CO., Inc., Daikin Industries, Ltd., Polytech ADD, Inc., EGAT, and Suan Dusit Rajabhat University|
|Location of Project/Activity||Thailand (and Vietnam, and Indonesia)|
|Category of Project/Activity||Energy Efficiency Improvement|
Note: JCM proposed methodology, and calculation sheet are the result of the study. They have neither been officially approved, nor are guaranteed to be officially approved under the JCM.
|Description of Project/Activity||This is a program-type project intended to disseminate high-efficiency inverter air conditioners, which are an outstanding Japanese technology, to Southeast Asia starting from Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia. Instead of monitoring power consumption, the methodology is applied whereby degree day theory is used and the outside temperature, etc. needed for calculations is monitored and reduction in emissions is calculated based on the sold quantity of air conditioners and their performance data. |
The demonstration study mainly focuses on Thailand, which implements an air conditioner energy saving labeling system, while the feasibility of applying the methodology developed for Thailand to Vietnam and Indonesia will also be examined.
|JCM Methodology||Eligibility Criteria||Criterion 1: This is a program to disseminate high-efficiency air conditioners fitted with inverters in Thailand.|
Criterion 2: The high-efficiency air conditioner targeted by the program fulfill the following conditions:
- It is a new air-cooled air conditioner introduced either as a new installation or as an equipment upgrade.
- Rated capacity is in the 9,000~24,000 BTU/h class.
- It doesn’t have a heating function.
- It is a separate type air conditioner, i.e. not a multi type air conditioner.
- It is ranked as Label 5.
|Default Values||There are many default values such as climate zones, representative cities & their Latitude / longitude, Indoor temperature setting of air conditioners, and specifications of model buildings. They are set conservatively based on common knowledge and opinions of experts.|
|Calculation of Reference Emissions||Reference is continuation of low-efficiency air conditioners and emissions from power consumption by using them. The reason for it is that it is impossible to pay back the price difference between a high-efficiency air conditioner and a low-efficiency air conditioner by cost saving from energy saving.|
It is necessary to monitor climate data, grid emission factor, natural dissemination rate of high-efficiency air conditioners, and sales performance of air conditioners annually in principle.
|Result of Monitoring||Emission reductions were monitored and calculated for the three-month period from August 1 to October 31, 2013 based on the number of high-efficiency air conditioners that were sold in the year of 2012.|
|GHG Emission Reductions||
- Emission reduction = Reference emission – Project emission
- Reference emission = Standard reference emission * Degree day / Standard degree day
- Project emission = Standard project emission * Degree day / Standard degree day
Standard reference emission, standard project emission, degree day, and standard degree day shall be calculated by using supplement sheet based on specifications of model buildings, performance curves of air conditioners, climate data, etc.
The result of actual monitoring and calculation found that emission reduction was 24 tonCO2.
|Environmental Impacts||Environmental impact by this project is marginal.|
|Promotion of Japanese Technologies||Japanese technologies can be hired by the way that project participants deal with air conditioners of Japanese manufacturers only.|
|Sustainable Development in Host Country||The following points can be considered as contributions to the sustainable development of host countries as a result of implementing projects similar to this one.
- Prevention of global warming through reduction of emissions
- Prevention of energy resources depletion thanks to energy saving
- Prevention of air pollution thanks to energy saving
- Avoidance of power shortages and energy shortages thanks to energy saving
- Energy saving educational effect (spread of energy saving awareness to other electrical appliances in addition to air conditioners)
- Improvement in air conditioner design, manufacturing and maintenance technology
|Development and Deployment of Similar Projects||Projects that is focused in this study can be implemented not only in Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia, but also other South East Asian countries, South Asia, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America where there are cooling load.|