|Title of the research||Wastewater Treatment with Anaerobic Digester at a Starch Processing in Vietnam|
|Main research orgnisation||Toshiba Corporation|
|Research partner(s)||DAWU Rubber Tapioca Starch Corporation, VＩＥＴＭＡ Co., Ltd.|
|Location of the project||Vietnam (Tay Ninh)|
|Summary of the research report (PDF)||(PDF 594KB)|
|Description of the project||Project involves decreasing methane gases that are emitted into the atmosphere from an existing open lagoons composed of organic wastewater|
treatment facilities of tapioca starch processing plant located inTay Ninh
Province, Vietnam. Methane gases will be captured by installing anaerobic digester of the enclosed methane fermentation facility before existing open lagoons and the emitted methane gases from lagoons will be decreased. The captured methane gases will be used as the substitute of coal fuel and CO2 derived from coal combustion will be reduced.
|Sector of the project||Biomass Utilisation|
|Duration of the project activity/ crediting period||2008-2022/|
|Baseline methodology/additionality||Approved methodology,AM0013 Version04(Avoided methane emissions from organic waste-water treatment) Option A is applied.|
- Are the exiting wastewater treatment system anaerobic open lagoon treatment ? ⇒Yes
- Can the exiting wastewater treatment system meet current environmental regulations? ⇒Yes
- Is future regulation necessitating upgrading of system likely? ⇒Yes／Maybe
Can discharge limits be met by adding more lagoons? ⇒Yes
- Is land available to accommodate more lagoons? ⇒Yes
Accordingly, the baseline will be anaerobic open lagoons.
Additionality: Legal barriers ,investment barriers, availability of substitute plan
were verified and this project was improved as additional by reviewing
approved methodology,AM0013 Version04 (Avoided methane emissions from organic waste-water treatment) Option A.
|Estimation of GHG emissions||The amount of emissions reductions before implementing project is calculated|
based on the calculation method described in approved methodology, AM0013 Version04 (Avoided methane emissions from organic waste-water treatment) .
- Estimated amount of baseline emissions reductions: 39,567 tCO2/yr
- Estimated amount of project emissions reductions: 6,537 tCO2/yr
- Leakage : 0 tCO2/yr
Estimated amount of emission reductions: 33,030 tCO2/yr
|Monitoring methodology||Approved methodology, AM0013 Version04 (Avoided methane emissions from organic waste-water treatment) is applied and main monitoring items are as follows;|
- Flow rate of organic wastewater into digester/COD concentration of organic wastewater into digester
- Concentration of COD that enters and leaves the open lagoons
- Flow rate of biogas entering the heat generation equipment /methane concentration
- Amount of heat energy and fossil fuel consumption in air dryer
- Flow rate of biogas and fraction of emissions gasses in biogas flare equipment
|Environmental impact||Project overall impact on environment during construction and operation will|
not be negative and improved of the present environment situations.
- Reduction of methane emitted from existing lagoons: Improvement of working conditions of employees of the plant: Improvement of living conditions of the residents in surrounding area of plant
- Improvement of water quality entering and leaving existing lagoons: Reduction of water contamination
Reduction of CO2 and SOX emissions from combustion of coal: Reduction of air contamination
|Issues and tasks for project implementation||The following tasks are clarified by implementing feasibility study and business|
success will be accomplished by solving tasks.
- Scrutiny of investment cost including engineering ,procurement and construction etc. of facilities concerned
- Investment ratio between Japan and Vietnam partners, structure of
implementing project and possibility of technical collaboration, etc.
necessary for establishing special purpose company in Vietnam
- Improvement of project profitability and possibility investigation of
employing small scale CDM project