|Title of the research||The CDM Feasibility Study for the Chlorofluorocarbon-Replacing Material Discharged from a South Korean Liquid Crystal Factory|
|Main research organization||Research Institute for Industrial Location co., LTD|
|Research partner(s)||Sojitz Research Institute, Ltd|
|Location of the project||Republic of Korea|
|Summary of the research report (PDF)||(432kb)|
|Description of the project||
- The chlorofluorocarbon-replacing material (CF4, CHF3, SF6) has been consumed on the etching and cleaning processes in TFT-LCD manufacturing plants of liquid crystal companies. Most of exhaust gas has been discharged in air without treatment. Because exhaust gas has extrordinally high global warming potential, an appropriate disposal method of gas emissions should be necessary in order to prevent from global warming.
- However, as a vast amount of money has invested in construction of brand-new manufacturing facilities according to the expansion of the demand of liquid crystal products, the amount of chlorofluorocarbon-replacing material emission in air will increase. Therefore, the project aims to promote CDM due to effective restraint of gas emissions.
- In order to restrain emission of the chlorofluorocarbon-replacing material in TFT-LCD manufacturing plants, to install waste gas abatement system that decomposes and makes gas nontoxic is an effective measure, including invention of an alternative chlorofluorocarbon-replacing material or development of new process of TFT-LCD manufacturing.
- The aim of this project is that the Japanese project participants acquire emission rights in terms of setting up waste gas abatement system in a Korean TFT-LCD manufacturing plant.
|GHG||HFC, PFC, SF6|
|Sector of the project||Others (HFC Destruction)|
|Duration of the project activity/ crediting period||7 years|
- Baseline is grounded on the amount of emissions at present and in the past, and the amount of emission reduction is defined as the destruction amount of the chlorofluorocarbon-replacing material.
|Estimation of GHG emissions||218,333ton-c/year|
Amount of TFT-LCD production:
30,000 sheets/ month×2 lines (5thGeneration:1000mm×1200mm)
- Basically, it is to measure the amount of the chlorofluorocarbon-replacing material emissions from a chamber and the amount of the deconstruction gas in waste gas abatement system, in the process of TFT-LCD manufacturing.
- In order to grasp the reduction amount of the exhaust chlorofluorocarbon-replacing material as correct as possible, it is necessary to establish monitoring scheme and to measure, arrange and analyze data periodically.
- The method of measurement is FT-IR, which is applied to a sort of Intel Protocol, and it reinforces Intel Protocol.
|Environmental impact||Disposition of filth water that goes the exhaust chlorofluorocarbon-replacing material through a scrubber in waste gas abatement system would become an issue. Nevertheless, it will be possible to flow it out with other water in a TFT-LCD plant.|
|Issues and tasks for project implementation||
- In the case of that the price of emission right was $7, IRR for seven years was 25%, that for ten years was 31%, so it could be profitable. In the case of $9, the project could be realized even for five years.
- Thus, in the case of $5, it would be difficult to realize the project if some expenses noted before are deducted. In the cases of $7 to $9, the project could be realized even if expenses are deducted.
- In the meantime, Department of Environment in Korea requires that the half of benefits from emission rights should be shared with the Korean side. The Japanese side should recognize the situation at the beginning of the implementation of the project.